Thursday, November 4, 2010

The moment I knew I was an American

What is an American? Well Thomas Jefferson was said to believe that an American was of European decent. I definitely do not believe an American is only of European decent. That is entirely not true because the slaves they brought from Africa did not have any type of European decent. Even some of the Africans that were born in amerce did not any type of European decent. So I think and American is a person that is born in America and has lived there for most of their life.

In America people have a sense of freedom but still have invisible bars around them. Americans get to choose their own religion, wear what they want, say anything, write anything, celebrate holidays, have different traditions, etc. America provides all these different opportunities. The invisible bars come into play when you put laws into the equation. The laws restrict you from doing certain things which means you are not exactly free. Many American don’t realize it but the government is not exactly giving them the freedom they deserve or believe they have.

Honestly I don’t know the difference between and American and another nationality. Why? Well it is because I have never been out side of the country or met someone who is not American. So the moment I knew I was an American has not occurred in my life yet, but when it does I will defiantly update you guys on the moment I knew I was an American.

1 comment:

  1. So you don't think that we have enough freedom, or that we are not as free as we think?

    ReplyDelete