Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sinners in the Hands of Angry God

In this passage Edwards basically talks about how god can at any moment kill you and send you to hell if you are a sinner or sins. If they believe that god does that then they must live on edge all throughout their life. Everything they do they must think out carefully making sure they do not sin. Just walking to the store requires thought and carefulness. For example, back in the 16th and 17th centuries, on Sundays the Puritans could only go to church or to their house. It was considered a sin to do anything else on Sundays.

If I believed what Edwards was talking about I know for a fact that I would not last. They have so many rules, I probably couldn’t remember them all, and so I would commit what they considered sins all the time. The best way for me to succeed in being a Puritan would to carry around a rule book with me. Before I make a move or take a step I would pull that book out and make sure I don’t sin, so that I can go to heaven. That might seem a little crazy but my memory is not very great. Also, they used to have a rule that prohibited anyone from dancing. Wow, I would sure commit that sin. The hands of God probably wouldn’t hold me for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment